Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chickens

So we sold a few of the EE laying hens the other day. Didn't have any ads out for laying hens. This guy saw we had chicks posted on Craigslist a few weeks back & knew we must have laying hens. So I let him know that he could only have yellow hens. I had like 5 yellows so I could let a few go. I admit...I was sad to sell them, but I do have my next flock all hatched out. They are a month old and 2 weeks old now. I have to remind myself sometimes that the idea is to sell chickens and make money! haha! I just love them all so much!

So we have the month old EE chicks now moved into their "forever" home over with my favorite rooster Zaxby. In a few weeks the 2 week olds will be over there too. Daryl has a red light in there & has the end of the coop they are in fenced off so they can't get out, but Zaxby can get in and out. Looks pretty good! The plan is to keep them there a few months. I want them to free range when they get older too, but I hope this way I am trainning them where home is.

So it is official...EVERY hen in the chicken house is on strike! HAHAHA! We have frizzles, silkies in there that were laying and 1 more group of each frizzles & polish that should be laying soon. Maybe our slight change in temps affected the hens. This is Florida though and not like we had a huge drop in temperature! Silly hens! EE hens still laying good! Hope they keep up the good laying! I do have paying customers!

So we also put a few hens in a enclosed coop with Grew (Americanna blue rooster) in hopes that he will make some fertile eggs with the hens. And for the 1st time ever I saw him mount a hen yesterday! WOOHOO! Daryl & I read that it takes about a month for the eggs to be fertile so we will wait till then and hatch.

So we are close to narrowing down the brown egg layer! We have always wondered which EE hen it was. Well, it was one of the 2 hens we had in with Grew. We took 1 out now we will see if it is the hen still in with him or the hen we took out and marked with Blue cote. It is exciting to find out. We also gave grew another hen. One of the hens was not laying anyways. The idea is for him to be hatching these later on so I need a hen that feels like laying eggs!

We also have like 8 eggs in the incubator from the small hens. Frizzles & silkes. It was the last eggs they laid for us. The eggs are due December 1st. This will be the smallest batch I have ever hatched. Hope they have a high hatch rate. It would be sad to just hatch a few chicks.

Guess that is all the chicken news! They keep us busy & I love it!

MARY

No comments:

Post a Comment